Making the decision to get a divorce is probably one of the hardest decisions that a person can make. The second hardest decision is probably selecting the divorce attorney that you will use to oversee and facilitate the divorce process on your behalf.
As a divorce is already an extremely emotional and sensitive time, a divorce attorney who is also sensitive and reasonable should be selected, however you should ensure that the divorce attorney can be aggressive and strong during negotiations (if this approach is required). A divorce lawyer who is unreasonable and aggressive from the beginning will only inflame the situation and aggravate matters in circumstances where settlement may have been a possibility had the attorney been slightly more collegial with his or her opponent.
As the divorce lawyer that you select may be a part of your life for anything from a few months to a few years (in extreme cases), you must ensure that you are comfortable speaking to them and confiding in them and you must also be confident that you are on the same page in terms of strategy and desired outcome regarding the divorce. A divorce attorney who has his or her own agenda such as making a “quick buck” or boosting her or her reputation will never be able to have your best interests at heart.
There are a few questions that you should ask yourself before selecting a divorce attorney:
- Would I prefer a divorce attorney who is the same gender as me or as my spouse or does this not matter?
- Would I require a divorce attorney who is available constantly via email, mobile or text message or are face-to-face meetings more important to me?
- Do I want the security of selecting a larger firm (although turnaround times may be slightly longer) or do I want quick and personalised service from perhaps a smaller, less established firm?
- How many years’ experience should my divorce attorney have for me to feel comfortable using them or does this not matter?
- How expensive is this divorce attorney and what am I willing to pay to secure the result that I want?
Selecting a divorce attorney can be a daunting task, however SDF Attorneys strive to make you feel comfortable with us and confident in your decision to use our divorce attorney as your legal professional. We understand and appreciate what a difficult decision it is and we strive to assure you that you have made the correct choice by choosing us.
If you would like to discuss your divorce, whether ongoing or only starting, with our divorce attorney, please visit our Contact Us page and give us a call. We always look forward to hearing from you.